Most of you have a Wi-Fi connection, either in your own home or in your workplace. Have you ever thought, what is Wi-Fi, and how does Wi-Fi work? If yes, we are here to answer your questions. Wi-Fi makes use of the radio signals to provide internet access to the connected devices as well as allowing them to transfer data even in the absence of an internet connection. An average Wi-Fi connection is more than 200 times faster than Bluetooth technology and covers much wider distance.
So, it is essential to make use of the Wi-Fi network connection in order to access the internet as well as to fulfill different file transfer needs. For this, understanding the Wi-Fi technology is very important. So, we have incorporated all the details you need in this article. Without further explanation, let’s look into what Wi-Fi is and how does it work.
What is Wi-Fi?
Wi-Fi is a technology that utilizes radio waves to provide network connectivity to the devices. A Wi-Fi router will create a Wi-Fi Hotspot, and the devices with the Wi-Fi support can find and connect to those hotspots. Then the internet connection will start flowing from the router to the device, making it possible to browse the internet or transfer data. The wireless router will emit radio waves between the frequencies 2.4GHz and 5GHz based on the configurations and built-in hardware, which also can be selected by the user.
There are different kinds of Wi-Fi modems available which provide different frequencies and signal strength. Based on the coverage of the router, you will be able to receive strong signals even at a larger distance. The number of simultaneous connection also sometimes depends on the router build.
Did you know? The term “Wi-Fi” was initially called “IEEE 802.11b Direct Sequence Spread Spectrum“.
The Wi-Fi connection can be protected by a password in order to prevent unauthorized users from accessing your internet or network data. You should always make sure to use one of the best Wi-Fi passwords to protect your connections. You can find your current Wi-Fi password and check if it is secure enough. If not, be sure to change it.
How Does Wi-Fi Work?
Wi-Fi works by transmitting radio signals from the router which is received by a Wi-Fi enabled device. But that’s not an apt sentence to describe the whole working of the Wi-Fi system. So, if you need a deeper explanation of how Wi-Fi works, have a look at the following paragraphs.
Wi-Fi works by emitting radio signals of frequencies between 2.4GHz and 5GHz. Like any other radio emitting devices, it needs a receiver to receive the Wi-Fi signals in this range and use it as a tunnel for the internet data to flow. So, our computers, smartphones or other Wi-Fi enabled devices has this built-in function to receive Wi-Fi signals. The reason why a basic desktop PC doesn’t support Wi-Fi is the lack of a Wi-Fi receiver. By installing one, you will be able to detect the Wi-Fi from your router.
In some situations, the Microwave oven in your house (if you have one), interprets with the Wi-Fi signals because the frequency ranges of that device and the Wi-Fi are almost similar. Many people reported that they face problems in the Wi-Fi connectivity while their Microwave oven is working.
Is Wi-Fi Dangerous? Does Wi-Fi have radiation?
There were lots of misconceptions about the Wi-Fi signals. Someone said that it would cause headaches resulting in a lack of concentration, and some others even said that it causes cancer. But, the recent reports from the trusted sources say that the Wi-Fi signals are not causing such mental or physical illnesses. It is absolutely normal to use your Wi-Fi whenever you need to stream hours of videos or to always stay connected on your smartphones. The reason is Wi-Fi signals are non-ionizing radiation which can’t cause such health issues in most of the cases.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Wi-Fi
Like any other product or service, Wi-Fi or the Wireless connections, in general, has some advantages as well as disadvantages. For your knowledge, we are going to break down the most noticeable advantages and disadvantages of the Wi-Fi.
Advantages of Wi-Fi
- Wi-Fi is extremely easy to use: Like we already know, it is extremely simple to set up and start using the Wi-Fi connections. All you have to do is buying a router, modem, and supporting devices, taking an internet connection, and connecting to your network. No hassles and complicated installation procedures. The ISPs itself may set up the initial configurations for you.
- Very fast data transfer: When compared to previous technologies such as Bluetooth, the transfer speed in Wi-Fi is exceptional. With the most modern technologies, it can even transfer Gigabytes of data within a matter of seconds. The Wi-Fi system even being used in high-level business offices and tech industries to make sure of the fast data transfer speeds without the need for wires.
- Reliability: Except the fact that the disconnection occurs once the power is out and router problems, the Wi-Fi is very reliable and stable. Within the range of the signal reach, you will be able to enjoy an almost same transfer speed without any interruptions.
- Mobility: Wi-Fi can be installed and configured almost anywhere. There are no space limitations, or it doesn’t require a certain area to work. That’s why we are able to connect to Wi-Fi hotspots in train stations, airports, and even restaurants.
- Expandability: Wi-Fi is highly expandable based on the equipment we have. Using the Wifi extenders, we will be even able to expand the coverage area of the Wi-Fi signals.
- Low cost: There are no jaw-dropping costs to buy a Wi-Fi modem and install it to enjoy the unlimited Wi-Fi access. There are internet plans starting from few dollars a month. So, it will not cost you much to set up and make use of the Wi-Fi in your home or office.
Disadvantages of Wifi
- Wi-Fi security matters: It is always important to change your Wi-Fi password frequently. Even with the most secure encryption methods, people’s Wi-Fi still getting hacked. As the security level lowers, the chances of being hacked are very high. These days, there are even some Android Wi-Fi apps which can directly hack into your Wi-Fi passwords (If you have the lightest encryption method.)
- The signal strength is still an issue: Even if we can improve the signal strength using the Wi-Fi boosters and range extenders, there is still a limitation to the range that we can get. The signal strength will also reduce considerably as far as we go from the Wi-Fi router.
Does a Wi-Fi router need a SIM card?
A typical Wi-Fi router doesn’t need a SIM card to operate. Usually, you connect it to a wired internet connection using the appropriate ports. Based on the type of internet connection you have, the type of Wi-Fi routers you need will vary. Be sure to choose one of the best Wi-Fi routers in order to ensure that you are getting the maximum speed and reliability.
However, you can also get routers that operate using mobile data technologies such as 4G or 5G. Based on your requirements, you can insert a SIM card and start using the data by connecting to your router Wi-Fi.