WhatsApp is the most popular messaging service in more than 100 countries. It has over 2 billion active monthly users and is one of the few applications downloaded over five billion times. By now, you understand that WhatsApp is among the best-known messengers. However, you may also use it to make voice or video calls to anyone with the app on their phones or computers. This is one of its most distinctive features, as you can not only chat, share your location, and exchange pictures but also jump on a call with a single tap. That brings us to the ability to record WhatsApp calls.
If you use WhatsApp, you should be aware that it still lacks a voice recording function. However, there are several methods for recording conversations that you can experiment with. In addition, there are times when you need to record a call due to certain situations. When discussing anything over the phone, recordings are most useful since they allow you to listen to them later and never miss anything. Therefore, let’s explore the options you have to record WhatsApp calls.
Record WhatsApp calls on Mac or iPhone
The easiest approach to recording a WhatsApp voice call on an iPhone or Mac is to use the software built into the operating system. Furthermore, you must have a second phone—any platform that supports group voice calls via WhatsApp—with your WhatsApp account. Here’s how to do it:
- Connect your iPhone to a Mac via a Lightning to USB cable.
- If you haven’t previously paired it with your Mac, select “Trust this computer” from the “Settings” menu.
- On Mac, open QuickTime.
- Choose File, then New Audio Recording.
- Right beside the record button in QuickTime, go to the downward pointing arrow and select the iPhone.
- Press the record button in QuickTime.
- Call your phone using WhatsApp with the iPhone.
- After that, go to the “add user” icon. Then pick the person you want to communicate with. This will begin your conversation with the person whose call you wish to record.
- When you’re finished, disconnect the call.
- Stop the recording in QuickTime and save the recording on your Mac.
Participants in a WhatsApp group voice call can see all other participants, making it impossible to record a conversation without them finding out. You shouldn’t try to hide that you’re going to be recording the session.
Recording calls on WhatsApp for Android using third-party software
We’ll use the Cube Call Recorder Android application for demonstration, but we’re unaffiliated, and you can opt for any suitable alternative. With that said, Cube Call Recorder’s VoIP recording feature, used by WhatsApp, can only be accessed on specific devices due to hardware variances and software limitations. Let’s begin
- Install the Cube Call Recorder app from Google Play Store on a phone that has WhatsApp.
- Switch to WhatsApp after launching the Cube Recorder.
- Call the person you wish to contact.
- If the Cube Call widget flashes and illuminates while you talk, it’s working fine.
- If you get an error, go to the Cube Call Recorder settings and choose Force VoIP call as a voice call.
- Call them again and see whether the Cube Call Recorder widget shows active status. If it still gives you an error, it won’t work.
Note. The general idea applies to Windows, but you must decide on a third-party software rather than an application.
Using a rooted device for recording a WhatsApp call on Android
Android users also have a third alternative that requires them to root their phones. However, it’s not advisable to do so since this process compromises your phone’s security and can bar you from device manufacturer’s updates. However, if you have no other option or have already done it, you can find several apps on Google Play Store or .apk files on the XDA Developer website. Use this method at your risk and with proper research.