Discord is one of the most popular Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) communication services available today. This software allows users to communicate directly via voice, video, or text and join servers or chat rooms where larger groups can converse. It’s also a great location to meet new people with similar interests and share ideas. It has all the features you’ll need to have engaging discussions, but there is no option to record them. Thus, lots of users wonder how to record a Discord call, and we’ll provide methods to do so.
To clarify, only some tools are truly effective for recording conversations from a plethora of online platforms available. This guide will demonstrate ways to record a Discord call using a step-by-step approach and include an example of great third-party software.
However, remember that in many countries it’s illegal to record the conversation without the consent of all involved parties. Therefore, you must make sure everyone knows you’re recording before you do so.
Method 1: Record a Call with Discord Craig Bot
For those unfamiliar with the Discord Craig Bot, it’s a voice channel recording bot for the software. What is it about this bot that makes it so special? It includes multichannel/multi-track recording capabilities. This implies that each speaker has their audio file when the Craig bot records audio in a Discord voice channel. Here is how you can use this bot:
- To access Craig, you must first invite the bot to your server. To begin, go to the Craig Chat home page and follow the “Invite Craig To Your Discord Server” link.
- Enter the chat by selecting “Add Bot To” from the drop-down menu and pressing “Authorize.”
- If everything goes well, your server should display a join message for “Craig.” At this point, there’s no need to do anything further—you can immediately start recording your audio channels by entering an audio channel and typing /join
- The bot will begin recording as soon as Craig enters the channel, which should change its username to reflect this. You’ll also hear an audio notification from the bot that says “now recording” to confirm it started.
- If you want to cancel all channel recordings, type: /stop
- This will force Craig to stop all recordings. You can use this instead of the former leave command that only canceled a Craig recording in a single channel.
Note: When you start recording, you’ll get a personal message from the Craig bot with pointers to grab or remove your discussions. You can record for up to six hours in a single sitting. If you want to know the status of a recording, you can download a copy of the audio to the point where you downloaded the file.
Method 2: Using Audacity for Recording Discord Calls
It’s a simple, free, and easy-to-use audio recorder and editor if you’re unfamiliar with Audacity. It is compatible with various platforms, including Windows, GNU/Linux, and Mac OS X. Here is how to get started:
- Download Audacity for PC and choose the best compatible software version according to your PC’s specifications.
- Launch the software and select ‘Edit’ in the top-left corner of the home screen.
- From the drop-down menu, choose ‘Preferences’ and switch to the devices you use for ‘Playback’ and ‘Recording.’
- The red dot button at the top of the screen is used to begin recording, so use it.
- Join the channel you want to record the session from.
Method 3: Record a Discord Call through OBS
OBS (Open Broadcaster Software) is a free, open-source program for recording audio and video material. It is available for both Windows and Mac operating systems, and works this way:
- Visit the OBS website, and download and install the software.
- Once you run OBS on your PC, head to the ‘Sources’ section.
- Now, select the ‘+’ symbol and ‘Audio output capture’ from the drop-down menu.
- Then select the ‘Create’ option.
- Press the ‘OK’ button after selecting your audio input device.
- Go to the ‘Properties’ menu and select an output device.
- Once you select the device, press ‘OK.’
- Choose ‘Start Recording’ from the ‘Controls’ section.
Method 4: Recording Discord Calls via Vmaker
Vmaker is a free screen recorder that’s simpler to use than OBS when recording Discord audio. For free, you can capture an infinite number of sessions. It also has a built-in video editor, which will be useful if you want to create a video podcast. We have no ties with the developers, like with OBS, but you can do this:
- Get the Vmaker software for your PC.
- Go to ‘Preferences’ in the “Settings” menu and select “Use internal audio.”
- Select the microphone you wish from the menu. To record sound, use either your system microphone or an external microphone.
- Select ‘Start Recording’ and Vmaker will collect all the audio from Discord. When you finish recording, your file will immediately be uploaded to your private cloud account, where you may download it.
Note: The file will be saved as a video, but the recorded activity will appear on the screen instead of a black screen.
Method 5: Utilize FonePaw Screen Recorder to Capture Discord Calls
FonePaw Screen Recorder is a handy voice and video recording tool for Windows and Mac. You can use it to record audio and video chats on Discord. Audio recording allows you to capture system and microphone sounds, so your voice and those in the chat group can be recorded.
There are a variety of output audio/video formats and qualities to pick from, including MP3, M4A, AAC, MOV, AVI, and so on, for saving your Discord audio files as MP3s. You can also try FonePaw Recorder’s timer to automatically begin and end the recording of your Discord conversations, so you don’t have to. We have no affiliation but will demonstrate how it works:
- Download FonePaw Screen Recorder and install it.
- Launch the app and choose Audio recorder from the home section of the application.
- You can enable sound and mic settings (including volume) before the recording begins.
- Press the Rec button to begin.
- To end the recording process, press the red square button.
- Preview, Cut, and Save it as you wish.
How to improve a Discord call recording?
You can always improve Discord call recording by ensuring the following:
1. Get to know more about the Discord recording tool
First, before anything else, you should learn more about the tool you are using to record the Discord call. If you do so, you might figure out the various features the tool has to offer and how it can impact your call recordings. Furthermore, by using and researching the tool, you will get more familiar with it and know how to use it effectively.
2. Optimize the settings
You can also optimize the settings for your call recorder app to get the most out of it. All you have to keep in mind is the right layout and recording format when changing any settings. If possible and your device allows it, always try to go for the highest quality available.
3. Use the correct equipment
Other than the right settings, you should also focus on the correct equipment. If you are trying to record a Discord call for future reference, try to use a good-quality microphone so that the amount of static can remain low.
4. Be clear when speaking
Ensure your voice clarity when speaking so that the subsequent recording can be of a much better quality. Be sure to remain close enough to the microphone and speak clearly and louder. Also, try to follow a script if possible.
5. Reduce background noise or static
Try to either eliminate or reduce background sound so that the static might also become less in the recording. Make sure to record in a quiet and distraction-free zone. Some apps also offer features such as Noise Suppression. Use these features if possible.
How to pick the best call recorder for Discord?
To find the best call recorder for Discord, make sure to pay attention to the following:
- The Discord call recorder should be compatible with the device you are using or might use Discord on.
- Prefer cross-platform-supported applications or tools.
- Make sure to pick the call recorder with the features you require rather than the amount of features they offer.
- Go for the app that offers the most usability as per your needs. The app should be able to record what you want, how you want, and whenever you want.
- The call recorder should also be worth your money. If possible, look for an app with a free trial period or someone that offers a money-back guarantee. Never favor paid apps over free apps or vice versa.
- Check the reviews of the app you want to use beforehand and do some basic research to figure out whether it’s worth it or not.
- Finally, choose an app with an active customer support team.