DNS servers are very important in providing a stable internet access. Recently we covered some of the best DNS servers for the fastest possible internet connection. We mentioned the most popular Google DNS as well as some other Public DNS addresses. But how would you change DNS server on your PC or whatever device you own? If you don’t have the answer, this article is for you.
It is extremely easy to change the DNS address to whatever you like. Before continuing, we recommend reading our article on the top DNS servers which might be useful for selecting the best option for you.
How to Change Domain Name System Server
The steps in changing DNS will vary from platform to platform. We have sectioned them under certain headlines to make the task easier. Carefully follow these instructions based on the version of the operating system and the device model.
How to Change DNS Server in Windows
Changing the DNS servers in Windows OS is very easy. While the Windows 10 and Windows 8 DNS server configuration has almost the same steps, all other versions of Windows have a little difference from that of this. Have a look.
How to Change DNS on Windows 10, 8, or 7
This will show you the Windows 10 DNS server configuration as well as the DNS settings in Windows 8, 8.1 and 7. The steps are almost similar in all these Windows versions. So no need to mention them separately. So, here are the steps to change DNS server on Windows 10, 8, or 7.
- Open the Windows 10/8 Control Panel (Either from a desktop icon or by typing “Control Panel” in the search box.
- Click on Network and Internet option among the listed items in Control Panel.
- Click on Network and Sharing Center option.
- In that screen which opens, click on the Change adapter settings link, located in the left panel of the screen.
- Now, a new ‘Network Connections’ window where all your internet connections listed will open up.
- Just right click on the active connection and choose Properties.
- In the Properties window that opened up, under ‘This connection uses the following items:’ option, scroll down and click on Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) to select it.
- Then, click the Properties button at the bottom.
- If the DNS boxed are not active, choose the radio button tagged Use the following DNS server addresses:. If it is active, nothing to worry.
- Now, it is the time to enter the IP address for a Preferred DNS server and Alternate DNS server. You should read our previous article on the DNS server list to know the best DNS services and their IP addresses. So, have a look at it and enter them in the appropriate boxes. You can also consider using the 220.127.116.11 and 18.104.22.168 which are the most popular primary and secondary DNS servers provided by Google.
- After changing the DNS server, click the OK button. You can make sure that the new settings work properly by checking the Validate settings upon exit check box.
- Close all open windows and start testing your DNS address by browsing the internet again.
If your DNS server not responding Windows 10 or has any other issues with the Windows 7 DNS settings, just switch between different DNS addresses. There are hundreds of different DNS providers available to choose from. So, wisely select the fastest DNS based on your location and the internet service provider.
How to Change DNS on Windows Vista
Switching DNS in Windows Vista is a little different from that of the other versions. But that too very similar to the previous steps. However, here are the steps to change DNS on Windows Vista.
- Click the Start
- Click on Control Panel.
- Click on View network status and tasks option in the Control Panel.
- Click on View status.
- Now, the network status window will open up. Click the Properties button.
- If the action is prompted, just click the Continue button.
- In the new window that opened up, scroll down and select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4), then click the Properties button at the bottom.
- Like we have done in the previous section, make Use the following DNS server addresses: option active and enter the Preferred DNS server and Alternate DNS server.
- One you are done, click the OK button and close all active windows. Be sure to check the DNS change.
How to Change DNS on Windows XP
Moving to another DNS server on XP is also a little different from other Windows versions. To change DNS server on Windows XP,
If you are using a Dial-up Connection
- Go to My Computer > Dialup Networking
- Right-click your internet connection and select Properties.
- In the window which opens, navigate to the Server Types tab.
- Now, click on TCP/IP Settings.
- Change the DNS as per your requirements.
- Go to Control Panel.
- Click on Network Connections.
- Select your local network and click Properties.
- Now, select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).
- Click Properties and tweak your DNS address.
How to Change DNS Server on Mac
If you have a question on how to change DNS Mac, here are the steps. Carefully follow them in order to successfully change the DNS server on any of the Apple products like MacBook and iMac which runs Mac Osx.
- In the Apple menu, select System Preferences option.
- Click on Network option.
- The Network settings window will show up.
- Select your active connection which your want to change the DNS from the left-hand navigation bar and click Advanced button.
- Go to the DNS tab.
- Under DNS Servers column, remove existing DNS addresses using the minus (-) button at the bottom of the column.
- Now, add new DNS using the plus (+) button.
- Finally, click OK.
How to Change DNS Server on Linux
If you are using the Linux OS or any other Linux distributions like Ubuntu, you can change the DNS settings by following these steps.
- Navigate to System > Preferences > Network Connections.
- Select the connection to configure the DNS settings. For example, if you are using a Wired connection select it and choose your connection. Same for the Wireless connection too. You will have to change the settings for each active connection (Only if you are using them.)
- Click Edit.
- In the next screen, select the IPv4 Settings or IPv6 Settings tab as per your requirements.
- Select Automatic (DHCP) addresses only from the dropdown. If you don’t know what you are doing, do not change it to anything else.
- Enter the DNS addresses in the DNS servers field.
- Click Save and confirm the action if prompted.
How to Change DNS on Android
Number of the Android users is increasing day by day. So, it is not a device to ignore anymore. These are the steps to change DNS on Android.
- Go to Settings > Wi-Fi.
- Open the Network Options by long pressing on the Wifi connection or by taping the arrow next to the connection. Then, tap on the Modify Network option (If shown.)
- Scroll down and tap on the IP Settings. In some devices, you may have to tap on Advanced, and then you’ll see the IP Settings button.
- In the IP settings, change this to Static and Change DNS1 and DNS2 to any preferred DNS IPs.
Now, that’s how to change DNS server on Android.
How to Change DNS Server on iOS
Ever wondered how to change DNS on iPhone or any other iOS devices? If so, here are the steps to configure DNS servers in iOS.
- Go to Settings > Wi-Fi. Make sure to turn on Wi-Fi if it is turned off.
- Tap on the blue “i” icon next to the connection which you want to change the DNS.
- It will open the screen where you can enter the DNS
- Enter the DNS addresses as per your requirements, and that’s it.
- You have successfully changed the DNS in iOS.
Changing the DNS was not that difficult. Was it? If you are facing a slow internet connection problem, moving to a reliable, fast DNS can do wonders. So, make changes to your DNS servers today itself.