Looking for the steps required to redeem a game or software on Steam using code? We understand why and also appreciate the convenience and usually lower pricing the method offers. Many users are unaware of the possibility when they create a Steam account, too. Using a code lets you skip browsing the massive Steam library, purchasing the game title, and waiting for it to appear. Instead, redeeming a code will make a chosen game appear in your games list immediately. Plus, you could get a legitimate code from a third-party reseller for a portion of the store price. With that in mind, let’s show you how to redeem code in Steam.
Redeem a Steam game key or code in the desktop app
Desktop application for Steam is the primary way to purchase, download, update, and play video games. It is the biggest video game distribution platform at the time of publication, which is only one of many advantages of Steam. Therefore, most people unsurprisingly want to finish the activation of their game keys there. Luckily, you only have to follow these steps to activate a Steam code or game key using the desktop application:
- Launch the Steam desktop application and sign in to the desired user account. If you’re using an untrusted device, you may have to go through Steam Guard authentication.
- Click on Games in the top main menu.
- Select the Activate a Product on Steam… option from the drop-down menu.
- You will now see a “Product Activation” window that explains the option’s purpose. Click on Next >.
- Read the Steam Subscriber Agreement terms. Click the I Agree button when you do.
- You can now enter the Steam game key in the text box below “Product Code”. Steam will provide several examples such as:
- 237DEFGHIJKLMNO 23
- Once Steam recognizes the code format and a corresponding game, select the Next > button.
- The game distribution platform will now add the game to your library. You can find it by clicking on Library in the upper left corner.
- Find and select the game on the list under “All”. If the library is extensive, use the search bar above to narrow down the results. You may use the Install button to begin the installation process.
How to activate game keys for Steam in a web browser
The leading game distribution platform supports game code activation in the browser when you lack access to the desktop software. You may redeem game codes for Steam in your desktop browser by:
- Visiting the Activate a Product on Steam page on desktop and the Steam game key register page on mobile. Both pages should work flawlessly—we are demonstrating a popular use case.
- If you’re already signed in, you can immediately enter the key. Otherwise, you first have to log in.
- Put a checkmark in the empty box in front of I agree to the terms of the Steam Subscriber Agreement.
- Select the Continue button.
Redeeming a Steam Wallet and gift card codes
If you saw Steam gift cards on sale in a local retailer or online, you will recognize this option. These are gift certificates you can buy with local currency and redeem on your Steam account. After entering the code, the specified amount of the currency your Steam Wallet uses becomes available. It’s a neat option to avoid leaving a digital footprint and provide your financial details, yet get the games you want. Here are two ways to redeem a code for a Steam Wallet or gift card after you launch Steam:
- Click on your profile icon in the top right corner.
- Select View my Wallet from the drop-down menu.
- You’ll now see multiple offers to add funds. Click the Redeem a Steam Gift Card or Wallet Code option in the right sidebar under “Your Steam Account”.
- Click on Games in the top menu in Steam.
- From a drop-down menu, select Redeem a Steam Wallet Code…
In both cases, you’ll see the same window. You can type the serial key number in the text box below “Steam Wallet Code” and choose the Continue button. Also, if you’re logged in to your web browser, you can visit the Steam Wallet page directly.
Note. In case Steam needs to collect a sales tax, you must enter your mailing address. That includes street address, city, state, country, and ZIP or postal code.
Using the mobile Steam app to redeem Steam Wallet funds
With mobile platforms growing in popularity yearly, it makes sense that Steam also permits code redeeming on Android and iOS. Sadly, while the application lets you shop, chat, receive notifications, see screenshots, view your game library, and more, you can’t redeem game codes yet. However, redeeming Steam Wallet or gift card codes on Android and iOS is possible in this fashion:
- Go to Steam for Google Play Store or Steam Mobile on Apple App Store in your mobile browser if you don’t have it. You can also search for “Steam” in the mobile applications. Download, install, and run the game distribution platform application.
- Expand the menu on the left side. Click on Store, then select Account Details.
- Select Add funds to your Steam Wallet.
- Choose Steam Wallet Code.
- Enter the Wallet Code or gift card code.
- Tap the Continue button.
- If the platform deems your code appropriate, funds will be added to your Steam account.
If your app doesn’t have a left-hand side menu, tap Wallet in the top menu, then pick the Redeem a Steam Gift Card or Wallet Code option. The rest of the steps are identical.
How to use a Steam Deck to activate game code
The release of Steam Deck in February 2022 brought a new way to play games—on a handheld gaming computer. Consequently, Steam Deck lets you redeem any game code this way:
- At any time while Steam Deck is on, tap the Steam icon in the bottom left corner.
- Once the console’s bottom main menu opens, choose Settings from the options it offers.
- You will now see a plethora of menu items. Pick the Library menu item at the bottom.
- You may see a list of games. Ignore those and tap the Add game button next to “Add to Library” and under the “Activate a product on Steam” headline.
- Enter the game key and press the Enter key.