Steam is the perfect place to find PC games. Whether it is a simple 2D game or an online multiplayer, Steam is the perfect place to find it at affordable rates. Being a Steam user for over 5 years, I can surely say they provide the cheapest PC gaming deal out there. So, you might also want to give them a try in your next PC game purchase. It might help you to save a ton of money, especially if you frequently purchase PC games. No need to spend the exact amount what the game developer priced the product.
Like any other platform out there, Steam requires you to create an account to let you purchase games. All your games will be stored in your Steam Library which you can download any time you feel like. Steam works very similar to several other platforms such as EA Origin. So, let’s see how we can create an account on Steam.
How to Sign up for Steam Account?
You have two ways to sign up for Steam. You can either use the Steam client (a software used to access steam games on PC.) or directly use their website
Method 1. Steps to Create a Steam Account using their Website
- Go to the Steam Sign up Page.
- Click on the Join Steam button on the right sidebar.
- Fill out the details such as your email address and preferred password.
Method 2. Steps to Signup for Steam using Steam Client
If you already have the Steam client installed on your PC, you can directly sign up from the application. To create a Steam account using the Steam desktop client, follow these steps.
If you do not have the Steam desktop application installed, you can download it here.
- Open the Steam application installed on your PC.
- It will ask you to sign in to your Steam account. As you do not have an account created, just click on the Create a New Account… button at the bottom.
- Fill out the necessary details to finish creating the account.
As soon as you complete the process, you will receive a mail confirming the account creation. Be sure to note down the Steam password somewhere safe. So, in case you forget it, you can easily restore it without having to reset the password.
Verifying your Steam Account and Adding Friends
Once you’ve successfully created your Steam account, the next steps are to verify your email address and learn how to add friends. These are important features in your new Steam journey as they help secure your account and make your gaming experience more social.
Email Verification for Steam Account
Email verification is essential for securing your Steam account. It adds an extra layer of protection and helps you restore your account in case you lose access to it. Here’s how to verify your email address on Steam:
- Log in to your newly created Steam account.
- Go to your Profile page by clicking on your username located at the top right corner of the Steam client.
- Click on the ‘Verify Email Address’ button. Steam will send a verification link to your registered email address.
- Open the email from Steam and click on the verification link. If you can’t find the email, check your spam or junk folders.
Once you have successfully verified your email, you’ll be able to change your account details, make purchases, and receive updates from Steam.
Adding Friends on Steam
Interacting with friends is one of the exciting features of Steam. You can team up with your buddies in multiplayer games, share your gaming achievements, and even gift games to each other. Here’s how you can add friends on Steam:
- Open the Steam client and log into your account.
- On the top menu, click on ‘Friends’ and then ‘Add a Friend.’
- Enter your friend’s Steam name or their unique Friend Code in the search box and click the ‘Send invite’ button.
Note: There are certain restrictions on adding friends for new accounts or accounts without any game purchases to protect the community from spammers or hackers. Once you have made a minimum purchase of $5 in the Steam store, these restrictions will be lifted. For more info, check our article on “why I can’t add friends on Steam“.
Creating a Steam account is just the first step in your gaming journey on this platform. Verifying your email and adding friends enrich your experience and enable you to enjoy the full benefits of being a part of the Steam community. Happy gaming!