In the year 2023, the number of monthly active Skype users is around 300 million. What’s more, it is estimated to grow linearly until the end of 2024 (and likely further) according to Statista.com. The ability to convey crucial events with family and friends has taken a significant step forward since Skype integrated video calls over 10 years ago. To help you save precious moments in your conversations with family and friends or record important meetings with coworkers, Skype now offers the ability to record a call.
Calling recording is entirely cloud-based and available on the most up-to-date versions of Skype. Everyone in the call is notified as soon as you start recording, so there are no unpleasant surprises. If you’re conducting a video conversation, Skype will record everyone’s video and any shared screens during the session. After the conversation, you can save and share the recording with anyone you want.
Consider This Before You Record a Skype Call
If you’re looking for how to record calls on Skype, you should know a few things. First, while Skype’s call recording feature is built-in and easy to use, it only records outgoing calls. Therefore, if you’re trying to record a conversation with someone who called you, you cannot do so directly through the app. This is a big disadvantage of Skype.
There are a few other things to keep in mind as well. Because call recording in Skype is done through your computer’s or phone’s microphone, the quality of the recording will depend on this device.
Despite these limitations, Skype call recording can be a helpful tool, whether you’re recording a conversation for business purposes or just wanting to save memories with friends and family. Once again, it notifies all participants that the conversation is being recorded and lets you listen to it in your chat history afterward. Skype ensures that everyone’s video feed (including yours) is incorporated and saved if you’re recording a video conference. You may record up to 24 hours of your conversation. If you’re interested in how to record calls on Skype, read on for a set of steps.
Instructions to Record a Call on Skype
Before you start, double-check you have the latest version of Skype installed on your computer or mobile device. Now:
- While on a call, select the Record (⦿) for desktop or tap three horizontal dots (…).
- Then Start recording on your mobile.
- A banner will appear on the screen prompting you to inform everyone that you’ve started recording.
- After the conversation, Skype will post the recording to your chat, which will remain for 30 days. You can also save and share the recording on your computer within the period.
That’s how easy it is to record calls on Skype! As long as you have the most recent version of Skype installed and use it on your desktop computer, you can easily record any call—audio or video—with just a few clicks. Skype recording can help you capture memories of a call on the platform, regardless of what they may be.
How to Download or See Skype Calls
Since the recording is only accessible for 30 days, you’ll need to save it as a file to keep it permanently. For more options, click the three vertical dots icon at the upper right of the video thumbnail on the desktop version of Skype. Now:
- To store it in your “Downloads” folder, go to Downloads → Save.
- To put it someplace else, choose Save As from the drop-down menu.
Even if it’s an audio recording, the file is saved as an MP4 video.
Once recorded to your computer, Skype lets you promptly open the destination folder in your file explorer program. Here’s what to do:
- Tap on the three horizontal dots next to the thumbnail and choose Show in a folder from inside the chat containing the recorded video.
- Double-click the MP4 file to open it after a window displaying the downloaded video file appears.
How to Share or Delete a Call Recorded on Skype
You can send the file to another person by going to the three vertical dots menu beside the video thumbnail and choosing Forward. If you wish to share several videos at once, do this:
- Go to Select Messages in the drop-down menu.
- Check off all videos you want to share and select Forward again.
- A “Contacts” page will appear where you may choose recipients from your list of contacts.
If you want to remove a video from the chat, go to the three-dot menu, select Remove. However, if there are multiple call recordings, do the following:
- Repeat step 1 above.
- Mark all the videos you wish to get rid of.
- Pick Delete from the menu after checking off all the videos you wish to erase.
Top Call Recorders For Skype
If you are not satisfied with the quality you are getting on your default call recording method, you can get help from third-party tools to record your calls. Let us have a look at the top two call recorders for Skype that will not only give you the desired quality but also additional features that will take your work to the next level.
TalkHelper is one of the best tools to record your calls on Skype. It is a simple, clean, and reliable tool with an intuitive interface. It also has a separate dedicated mode just for recording audio. Even if you forget to give it inputs, you do not have to worry as it is reliable in detecting when to start recordings automatically.
Here are some of the features of this tool that will make your life easier:
- Dedicated mode to record only audio, offering flexibility in recording options.
- Captures and records voicemails, ensuring no important messages are missed.
- Compatible with both Skype for Business and desktop versions, and fully optimized for the Windows platform. Windows users can also take a look at recording calls on Windows.
- Audio is recorded in stereo format with separate channels
- Capable of recording every video frame in various modes, including normal, full screen, or floating window.
Another great tool that allows you to record your desktop in high quality is Movavi Screen Recorder. This tool brings a lot of options to the table, such as screen recording, webcam recording, and audio recording. You can even schedule your calls to record. So, the recorder will automatically start recording even if you miss giving it your input.
A quick tip to help you record a high-quality call on Movavi is to make sure the microphone audio and audio-grabbing features are turned on. Here are some features that make this tool worth trying:
- Auto-fit feature to automatically adjust to the size of the selected window, including Skype for optimized recording.
- Easy-to-identify system and microphone audio enabling, highlighted with green color when devices are active.
- Capability to take snapshots during calls and save them in various formats like JPEG, PNG, or BMP.
- Supports a wide range of export formats including MP4, MOV, AVI, MPEG, WEBM, GIF, and MP3 for flexibility.
- Includes a trimming feature to edit out unwanted parts before saving the recording for polished content.
Tips for Quality Skype Call Recording
To take your experience of Skype call recordings to the next level, we have gathered some great tips to help you improve the quality of your video calls.
Tip 1: Record in a computer with large memory. If you want to record HD videos, it will take more space and better CPU processing. So, having a good computer automatically means having a better experience with call recordings.
Tip 2: Make sure you are sitting in a bright room where the lighting is perfect. Light can make a huge impact on the working of the camera. The better the light is, the better quality of recording you will have.
Tip 3: Clean up your background software that is eating the processing. If there is software running in the background, it will take the memory and space that can be used during the video call recordings.
These tips do not take a lot of effort, so implement them now and enjoy a better call experience.
Also, if you are finding it difficult to record calls using this software, there are many alternatives to Skype in the market. You can simply use one that supports call recording.