In the year 2022, the projected number of registered Skype users was around 1.95 million. What’s more, it is estimated to grow linearly until the end of 2024 (and likely further) according to Statista.com. The ability to convey crucial events with family and friends has taken a significant step forward since Skype integrated video calls over 10 years ago. To help you save precious moments in your conversations with family and friends or record important meetings with coworkers, Skype now offers the ability to record a call.
Calling recording is entirely cloud-based and available on the most up-to-date versions of Skype. Everyone in the call is notified as soon as you start recording, so there are no unpleasant surprises. If you’re conducting a video conversation, Skype will record everyone’s video and any shared screens during the session. After the conversation, you can save and share the recording with anyone you want.
Consider This Before You Record a Skype Call
If you’re looking for how to record calls on Skype, you should know a few things. First, while Skype’s call recording feature is built-in and easy to use, it only records outgoing calls. Therefore, if you’re trying to record a conversation with someone who called you, you cannot do so directly through the app. There are a few other things to keep in mind as well. Because call recording in Skype is done through your computer’s or phone’s microphone, the quality of the recording will depend on this device.
Despite these limitations, Skype call recording can be a helpful tool, whether you’re recording a conversation for business purposes or just wanting to save memories with friends and family. Once again, it notifies all participants that the conversation is being recorded and lets you listen to it in your chat history afterward. Skype ensures that everyone’s video feed (including yours) is incorporated and saved if you’re recording a video conference. You may record up to 24 hours of your conversation. If you’re interested in how to record calls on Skype, read on for a set of steps.
Instructions to Record a Call on Skype
Before you start, double-check you have the latest version of Skype installed on your computer or mobile device. Now:
- While in a call, select the Record (⦿) for desktop or tap three horizontal dots (…) → Start recording on your mobile.
- A banner will appear on the screen prompting you to inform everyone that you’ve started recording.
- After the conversation, Skype will post the recording to your chat, which will remain for 30 days. You can also save and share the recording on your computer within the period.
That’s how easy it is to record calls on Skype! As long as you have the most recent version of Skype installed and use it on your desktop computer, you can easily record any call—audio or video—with just a few clicks. Skype recording can help you capture memories of a call on the platform, regardless of what they may be.
How to Download or See Skype Calls
Since the recording is only accessible for 30 days, you’ll need to save it as a file to keep it permanently. For more options, click the three vertical dots icon at the upper right of the video thumbnail on the desktop version of Skype. Now:
- To store it in your “Downloads” folder, go to Downloads → Save.
- To put it someplace else, choose Save As from the drop-down menu.
Even if it’s an audio recording, the file is saved as an MP4 video.
Once recorded to your computer, Skype lets you promptly open the destination folder in your file explorer program. Here’s what to do:
- Tap on the three horizontal dots next to the thumbnail and choose Show in a folder from inside the chat containing the recorded video.
- Double-click the MP4 file to open it after a window displaying the downloaded video file appears.
How to Share or Delete a Call Recorded on Skype
You can send the file to another person by going to the three vertical dots menu beside the video thumbnail and choosing Forward. If you wish to share several videos at once, do this:
- Go to Select Messages in the drop-down menu.
- Check off all videos you want to share and select Forward again.
- A “Contacts” page will appear where you may choose recipients from your list of contacts.
If you want to remove a video from the chat, go to the three-dot menu, select Remove. However, if there are multiple call recordings, do the following:
- Repeat step 1 above.
- Mark all the videos you wish to get rid of.
- Pick Delete from the menu after checking off all the videos you wish to erase.