Wondering about a way to insert a signature in Word? It’s a simple task that can make a huge difference. You will be seen as more professional, reliable, and knowledgeable, which is very important in business. For corporations, the digital signature also works as a way to confirm identity, qualifications, or a project. Certificates and additional information, such as the time of validity, can be added as part of the digital signature, making them accessible on the spot.
What is a Signature in Word?
A Microsoft Word signature is the digital representation of a person’s handwritten signature. It can be embedded in a document to serve as a way to add authenticity to it. Usually, people use signatures in documents such as letters, contracts, or forms that were created using the software. A signature can be added using various methods, such as taking a photograph of your actual signature. But the most common way is in the form of a “Digital Signature”, which is usually just typing in the person’s name.
Are Signed Word Documents Valid?
A signed Word document is considered valid based on the context and the legal requirements. As technology advanced, more and more countries started recognizing the authenticity of digital signatures. Digital signatures can be used on various MS Word documents such as contracts, agreements, legal documents, and official correspondence. But you should check the laws and regulations in your country to ensure their validity and effectiveness.
Steps to add a digital signature in Word
- Open the required document in Microsoft Word. We used the Office 2019 package to demonstrate the process.
- Place the cursor and click on the spot where you want the signature to be added.
- At the top of the window, click on the Insert tab.
- Locate the Signature Line option on the right side of the tab and click on it.
- A pop-up window will appear.
- Fill the empty text boxes with your details – your full name, title, and e-mail address. Optional. Uncheck Show sign date in signature line if you don’t want the date to be visible.
- Click on OK.
Steps to add a certificate to a digital signature in Word
- After following steps #1 through #7 above, double-click on the signature that appeared in the text.
- A window titled Sign will pop-up.In order to sign a document, you should have a digital ID, if you haven’t, it will ask you to create one.
- Look at the bottom of the page, and verify the information after Signing as: and Issued by:
- Whether it’s blank, the information is incorrect, or the certificate needs to be updated, click on Change.
- Option 1. Preview the current certificate by clicking on Click here to view certificate properties. A Certificate Details window will appear. Click on OK when you are done.
- Option 2. Microsoft will try and suggest a certificate under More choices. If the correct one didn’t appear, click on the headline itself. Choose a different certificate from the General tab, and verify the information on the Details tab. Click on the OK button when finished.
- As a security measure, you will be asked to enter the code on your company-provided Smart Card, called PIN or PIV, if applicable.
- Click on OK, then OK again if the Signature Confirmation was successful.
How to insert an invisible digital signature in Word
Sometimes, you want the document marked under your name without it being visible in the text. Here’s how to do it.
- Open the document in Microsoft Word.
- Click on File in the top left corner.
- A tab will appear on the left side. On the top of the tab, click on Info.
- You will see your document’s name on the top. Click on Protect Document under the icon of a lock and key.
- A drop-down list will appear. Choose to Add a Digital Signature.The same applies here just like in the previous section. If you do not have a digital ID, you should create one.
- On the Sign window, under Commitment Type, choose Created and approved this document.
- Verify the details under Signing as: and Issued by: before clicking on Sign.
- You will be asked to enter the PIN/PIV code on your Smart Card before clicking OK.
- If the Signature Confirmation was successful, click OK again.
So, that’s how placing a digital signature in a Microsoft Word document works. It’s harder to forge and remain consistent while saving time and your wrists if there are hundreds to be signed. You can definitely make use of this great advantage of MS Word to save some time.