Streaming has ushered a new way we consume media daily. Instead of waiting for a specific day and time, making sure you have an hour and a half of two free, you can now stream a movie at a moment’s notice. The quality will also be sufficient due to ever-increasing Internet speeds and improved compression algorithms. That means you don’t need to go outside and purchase a physical disk to enjoy a crisp image either. Plus, you can watch movies on a wide variety of devices, some of which you might already possess. Without further ado, here’s how to watch movies on Netflix.
Registering a Netflix account
Netflix is aware that committing to a monthly payment and canceling your cable subscription can be a scary step. For that reason, they’ve created a trial option. You can watch some of their best-rated TV shows and movies using the following link netflix.com/watch-free. No sign up required, just play and enjoy. If you like what you see, you can choose a subscription that fits you best. Keep in mind, Netflix is known for offering a 30-day no-commitment plan as well, so you can enjoy the full set of features without dreading the bill.
- Visit Netflix Sign Up page on your computer. You can use other devices, but this is the most convenient way.
- Right away, you’ll be asked to pick between subscription plans. Additionally, you can choose whether to be billed monthly or weekly. Review the plans and the prices, and choose the one that fits you best.
- Click Continue.
- You will be asked to create an account. Enter your e-mail address and pick a password that’s unique to Netflix.
- Optional. Check the box in front of Please do not email me Netflix special offers.
- Click Continue.
- Step three of the sign-up process involves a payment method. While you won’t be billed for the duration of the first 30 days (and reminded the free trial expires 3 days before it does), Netflix wants your card details right away. Pick a credit, debit, or a gift card, or sign up with a postpaid mobile bill if that’s convenient.
- Finally, select all of the devices you’ll be watching Netflix on from the list. This is more of a preliminary list, and you can stream to devices you haven’t checked.
How to watch movies on Netflix with a browser
Before we go ahead and explain the process, let’s get the compatibility out of the way. Here are our observed maximum resolutions based on an operating system.
- Windows 8, Windows 10 – Internet Explorer (1080p), (Microsoft) Edge (4K)
- Mac OS X 10.10 and higher – Safari (1080p)
- Any desktop/laptop operating system – Google Chrome (720p), Mozilla Firefox (720p)
- Android – The majority of smart devices using the Netflix application (720p-1080p). Netflix certified Smart TV boxes/sticks via Netflix application (4K)
Here’s how to sign in and start a movie stream.
- Open the Netflix Sign In page and log in with your account details.
- By default, you’ll see one user profile under Who’s watching? Click on it.
- Optional. You can add, delete, or manage profiles for your family members and friends by clicking on Manage Profiles This is important, as Netflix will cater recommendations based on your watch history, and you can filter inappropriate content for kids, for example.
- A list of thumbnails of recommended Netflix TV shows and movies will appear.
- Scroll through the categories. You can also click on the > button to expand the number of titles in a given category. Click on Browse in the top left corner to view all categories.
- Optional. Click on a magnifying glass to search for a specific title.
- Once you click on a movie you’d like to watch, you’ll be redirected to its dedicated page. Click on the Play button to start the stream.
How to watch Netflix movies on a smart device
The main benefit of watching films on a smart device is portability. You only need a good enough device and a steady Internet connection. Here’s how.
- Download, install and run Netflix on Google Play.
- Tap on Sign In.
- Log in to your Netflix account.
- Choose a user profile to watch movies with.
- Scroll through the recommendations, and swap left or right to discover more movies in the same category. Use the Movies option in the top corner. Or, use My List in the top right corner.
- Optional. Tap on the three parallel lines in the bottom right corner. You can view a list of all the categories from there. Or, tap on Search at the bottom.
- Pick a movie and tap on it. Tap on Play once on the page.
- Download, install and run Netflix on Apple App Store. iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch models that have iOS 12 and later running are compatible. If you used the Netflix app on them in the past, you can also use some Netflix on devices running iOS 5 and later.
- After you enter the login details, tap on Sign In.
- Choose a profile.
- Tap on Movies at the top of the screen.
- Scroll through the recommended movies, use the magnifying glass at the bottom to search, or tap on the three horizontal lines to view the list of categories.
- Once you find a movie you’d like to watch, tap on its thumbnail, and tap on Play.
Watching Netflix movies on a Smart TV
- Make sure your Smart TV is connected to the Internet via Ethernet cable or Wi-Fi.
- The process is different based on a model of your TV. Do one of the following.
- Find the Netflix button on your TV’s remote if it exists.
- Press the Home button on your remote. Find Apps options. Browse through the list, or use the Search feature and type Netflix.
- If the Netflix application isn’t present, it needs to be downloaded and installed. Refer to the user’s manual that you received with the TV for instructions.
- Navigate to the Sign In button on-screen and press the OK button on your remote. There are two options now.
- You’ll be prompted to sign in and can get to your profile.
- You are asked to enter the verification code to confirm the account. In that case, do the following. Open the netflix.com/activate link in your browser. Log in to your account. Enter the code displayed on the TV into the text box on the website. Click on Activate. You can sign in to your Netflix account now.
- Navigate through the categories and recommended movies using your remote. Select a movie and press the OK button on your remote. Navigate to the Play button on the screen and press the OK button on your remote again.
How to watch movies on a Smart TV box/stick
Have you seen products such as Roku Streaming Stick or Amazon Fire Stick and wondered what they do? In short, they can turn an older TV model into a Smart TV when connected via the HDMI cable. Or, you can use the device when your Smart TV’s specifications aren’t strong enough to handle a stream in 4K resolution, and using Dolby Vision or HDR10. The process of using the application on any of these devices will be nearly identical to using it on a native Smart TV. They run custom versions of the operating systems but are primarily based on Android.