Lightshot, which we reviewed, is a well-known software for taking a screenshot available through a download for Windows and Mac. Though both operating systems offer built-in software that can do so, they are nowhere near convenient, multifaceted, or lightweight. Lightshot also makes it effortless to perform image editing before saving a screenshot. This includes cropping, adding text and changing its font size, drawing lines and adjusting their thickness, placing arrows, highlighting portions of the image, and more. Some users love the fact they can upload screenshots directly to the Internet. Regardless of what your reason is, we’ll happily show you how to download Lightshot.
Lightshot System Requirements
Before diving into the world of Lightshot, it’s important to take a moment and check if your computer aligns with the software’s basic system requirements. Luckily, Lightshot is a lightweight utility, sparing your hardware from any heavy lifting. Still, it’s a smart move to ensure your system meets the following modest prerequisites:
- Operating System: Lightshot graciously extends its support to Windows users, encompassing versions from the Windows XP and onward. Mac users will also find solace in knowing that Lightshot gracefully works with macOS, specifically OS X 10.9 and later.
- Disk Space: Fear not the storage abyss, for Lightshot’s appetite for disk space is minimal. Typically, this tiny application consumes less than 20 MB of your precious storage real estate during installation.
- RAM: To keep your Lightshot experience velvety smooth, it’s advised to have at least 1 GB of RAM at your computer’s disposal.
- Processor: Lightshot is a congenial companion to most modern processors. With no stringent CPU requirements, it harmoniously coexists with your computer’s brainpower, ensuring a seamless user experience.
Methods to Download Lightshot
Downloading Lightshot will allow you to make your screenshot-taking process much easier compared to any other screenshot software available on the marker. You can download Lightshot using one of these methods.
1. Download Lightshot from the official website
This is the way most users start using Lightshot. After going to the Prntscr home page, do this:
- Click the Download for Windows or Download for Mac buttons in the top right corner. The Windows download will begin immediately, while the Mac link will open the Mac App Store with the Lightshot page.
- You can install the software by double-clicking the lightshot-setup.exe file on Windows or clicking the cloud download icon on the App Store.
Does Lightshot support Linux?
Lightshot does not directly support Ubuntu or Linux. The Lightshot Wine for Ubuntu download page you can visit lets you download the Windows version and use it on Linux through Wine. They have an in-depth guide, but if you’re already familiar, you can download the app by typing these Linux commands:
sudo apt-get install wine wget http://app.prntscr.com/build/setup-lightshot.exe wine ./setup-lightshot.exe
2. Search for Lightshot on the official repositories
Though it should be clear from the previous section, you can avoid the official website, launch the Mac App Store, search for “lightshot” and download the app that way. However, this does not apply to Microsoft Store. Several developers use convenient names or descriptions to make you think their software is genuine. However, at the time of publication, such software doesn’t exist, and you should always double-check the developer’s name (Skillbrains in this case).
Visit browser extension stores to download Lightshot
The section above brings us to the topic of the Lightshot browser extensions. You may:
- Visit Chrome Web Store or Firefox Browser Add-ons extension repositories, search for “lightshot” and click Add to Chrome and Add to Firefox respectively.
- Alternatively, you can open the Lightshot for Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox Lightshot add-on pages and install them directly.
Although the website suggests browser extensions are also available for Internet Explorer and Opera, you cannot download them at the time of writing.
3. Downloading Lightshot from third-party software hosting websites
Lightshot software is also regularly uploaded to reputable software repositories hosted by third parties. Some examples we’re unaffiliated with include Softonic.com, Uptodown.com, DigitalTrends.com, and FileHorse.com. Again, type “lightshot” into the search bar and proceed to download it. This is useful if you’re looking for a particular older version with a discontinued feature. Simultaneously, it’s crucial if the newest version is flawed, and you must settle for the previous one until they resolve the issues.
4. Using Portable Apps to Download Lightshot
Many users who don’t want to install every software they use on their computer prefer portable applications, and Lightshot is no exception. You can download the portable version of Lightshot from websites like portableapps.com. Here’s an outline of the process:
- Navigate to the website.
- Use the search bar to locate “lightshot.”
- Once you find it, click on the download link.
Since this version doesn’t require installation, simply extract the downloaded file and run the .exe file directly. This is particularly beneficial if you wish to use Lightshot on a temporary or public computer where you can’t or don’t want to install new software.
5. Downloading Lightshot via Software Bundles
Another method to download Lightshot is through software bundles offered by various websites. These bundles often include popular software programs that are frequently downloaded together. Remember that downloading software this way means you’ll also be installing other programs at the same time, so make sure you need the additional software or know how to uninstall it later.
Be cautious when using this method as some software bundles may include unwanted software. Always verify the source and opt for custom installation to deselect any unwanted additions.
6. Install Lightshot Using Chocolatey
Chocolatey is a package manager for Windows that allows developers to automate the process of installing, upgrading, configuring, and uninstalling software. To use Chocolatey to install Lightshot, follow these steps:
- First, ensure you have Chocolatey installed. If not, visit chocolatey.org and follow the instructions to install it.
- Open a command prompt (cmd.exe) as an administrator.
- Enter the following command: choco install lightshot.
Chocolatey will automatically download and install the latest version of Lightshot along with all necessary dependencies.
7. Use Patch My PC Updater to Install Lightshot
Patch My PC Updater is a free, easy-to-use program that keeps over 300 software programs up-to-date on your computer. It’s also a great way to install Lightshot:
- Download Patch My PC Updater from the official website and install it.
- Open Patch My PC Updater, and you’ll see a list of software it can install or update for you.
- Find “Lightshot” in the list and check the box next to it.
- Click on “Perform Updates” at the bottom. Patch My PC Updater will download and install Lightshot for you.
Each of these methods has its own benefits and drawbacks, so choose the one that best aligns with your needs and technical comfort level. While it’s pretty straightforward to download any software from the internet, beginners might find it difficult. Hence, this guide.
Lightshot Download FAQs
Lightshot does not have a native Linux version. However, you can use the Lightshot Wine for Ubuntu download page to run the Windows version on Linux through Wine.
Yes, Lightshot offers browser extensions for Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox. You can find them in the Chrome Web Store or Firefox Browser Add-ons extension repositories.
Lightshot is a free tool to download. You can easily get it from the official website.