Lightshot, which we reviewed, is a well-known software for taking a screenshot available through a download for Windows and Mac. Though both operating systems offer built-in software that can do so, they are nowhere near convenient, multifaceted, or lightweight. Lightshot also makes it effortless to perform image editing before saving a screenshot. This includes cropping, adding text and changing its font size, drawing lines and adjusting their thickness, placing arrows, highlighting portions of the image, and more. Some users love the fact they can upload screenshots directly to the Internet. Regardless of what your reason is, we’ll happily show you how to download Lightshot.
1. Download Lightshot from the official website
This is the way most users start using Lightshot. After going to the Prntscr home page, do this:
- Click the Download for Windows or Download for Mac buttons in the top right corner. The Windows download will begin immediately, while the Mac link will open the Mac App Store with the Lightshot page.
- You can install the software by double-clicking the lightshot-setup.exe file on Windows or clicking the cloud download icon on the App Store.
Does Lightshot support Linux?
Lightshot does not directly support Ubuntu or Linux. The Lightshot Wine for Ubuntu download page you can visit lets you download the Windows version and use it on Linux through Wine. They have an in-depth guide, but if you’re already familiar, you can download the app by typing these Linux commands:
sudo apt-get install wine wget http://app.prntscr.com/build/setup-lightshot.exe wine ./setup-lightshot.exe
2. Search for Lightshot on the official repositories
Though it should be clear from the previous section, you can avoid the official website, launch the Mac App Store, search for “lightshot” and download the app that way. However, this does not apply to Microsoft Store. Several developers use convenient names or descriptions to make you think their software is genuine. However, at the time of publication, such software doesn’t exist, and you should always double-check the developer’s name (Skillbrains in this case).
Visit browser extension stores to download Lightshot
The section above brings us to the topic of the Lightshot browser extensions. You may:
- Visit Chrome Web Store or Firefox Browser Add-ons extension repositories, search for “lightshot” and click Add to Chrome and Add to Firefox respectively.
- Alternatively, you can open the Lightshot for Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox Lightshot add-on pages and install them directly.
Although the website suggests browser extensions are also available for Internet Explorer and Opera, you cannot download them at the time of writing.
3. Downloading Lightshot from third-party software hosting websites
Lightshot software is also regularly uploaded to reputable software repositories hosted by third parties. Some examples we’re unaffiliated with include Softonic.com, Uptodown.com, DigitalTrends.com, and FileHorse.com. Again, type “lightshot” into the search bar and proceed to download it. This is useful if you’re looking for a particular older version with a discontinued feature. Simultaneously, it’s crucial if the newest version is flawed, and you must settle for the previous one until they resolve the issues.