So, you’re planning to start a YouTube channel? Great choice, first of all. This can be a life-changing decision, even if it looks like a casual one at first. As long as you stay unique, interesting, have a story to share, knowledge to pass on, or ways to entertain, success is almost imminent. But to get there, you need to make the first step – starting the channel itself. Because YouTube is owned by Google, you can use an account you already own or create a brand-new one. Both options will allow you to edit almost everything about it, so that’s a relief. Let’s teach you how to create a YouTube channel.
Why Should You Create a YouTube Channel?
With billions of users worldwide, YouTube has grown to be one of the biggest platforms for video sharing and content viewing. You may access this enormous audience of content consumers and connect with individuals who have similar interests by starting a YouTube channel. YouTube offers a potent platform to show off your talent and interact with like-minded people, whether your goal is to amuse, inform, or inspire.
Irrespective of your intentions, if it is related to online video creation, YouTube channels are probably the best way to go. No matter what type of YouTube channel you are creating. These are some of the reasons to start a YouTube channel –
Demonstrating Your Talents and Passion
You may use YouTube as a platform to share your interests, skills, and knowledge with a large audience. Millions of users are waiting to watch your content. Whether you’re a singer, artist, gamer, fitness fanatic, chef, or possess any other skill or passion, YouTube enables you to showcase your special talents and make connections with people who share your interests.
Establishing Your Authority
You may position yourself as an authority (over time) in your niche by starting a solid YouTube channel in that specific niche. You can establish credibility and establish yourself as a go-to source for those looking for information or inspiration in your industry by constantly offering high-quality and entertaining educational material. Numerous possibilities may arise as a result, including partnerships, speaking engagements, and even recognition as an authority in your field. Check out the best tech channels on YouTube as an example.
Develop Your Personal Brand
YouTube is a strong tool for developing a personal brand. Your online character may be shaped and a brand that appeals to your target market can be developed with the help of a well-designed channel and interesting content. Increased exposure, networking possibilities, and even prospective collaborations or sponsorships can result from having a strong personal brand.
Growing Your Influence and Range
One of the biggest social media networks, YouTube has over 2 billion monthly active users. You may potentially connect with a huge, varied audience that is not limited by geography by starting a fresh YouTube channel. Your videos have the power to change people’s lives by motivating, instructing, entertaining, or enlightening viewers all around the world.
To create a YouTube channel: Personal & Business
- Go to YouTube.com.
- Click on Sign In in the top right corner.
- Enter your Gmail address or phone number.
- Enter your password.
Option 2. If you don’t have a Google account.
- Click on Create account.
- Choose For myself from the drop-down list. Or:
- Choose To manage my business.
- Enter your First and Last name.
- You can enter a pre-existing e-mail address, but we suggest you create a new one.
- Enter your desired password twice. Make sure the password is complex. Save it in a secure place.
- Click on Next.
- You will be taken to your channel’s homepage.
- You might have to click on Create a new channel in the top left corner.The advantage of a Business account is that you can add multiple Brand Accounts, which means a single channel can have multiple owners and/or managers. You can read more about Business accounts on Youtube here.
Steps for Creating a YouTube Channel on mobile devices
If you are using a mobile device instead, based on the operating system of your mobile, these are the steps to create a YouTube channel.
- Open the YouTube app for Android.
- Tap the three vertical dots in the top right corner.
- Tap on Sign In.
- You have the same options as with the computer.
- Open the YouTube app for iOS.
- Open the menu by tapping on an icon in the top right corner.
- Tap on Sign In.
- You are now given the option to use an existing Google account or create a new one.
Things to do after creating a YouTube channel
Now you know how to create a YouTube channel. Before you do anything more, you must know your audience, their average age, interests, and attention span. The following steps hinge on that information.
1. Customize basic information about your profile
If you used a pre-existing Google account, chances are it used your real name as the channel name. You can change that, and many other things, on the Channel Customization page. Do this:
- Click on the channel icon in the top right corner.
- Click on Your channel.
- Now, click on Customize channel under your channel name.
- Switch tabs to Basic info.
- Change your channel name and description accordingly.
- You can add the language you speak by clicking on Add language. This will help with automatic translation.
- Under Links, you can add a link to your blog, portfolio, or website you love.
- If you don’t want to use the same Gmail address for business inquiries, you can add another one under Contact info.
2. Change the channel art
First impressions matter. A lot. For that reason, you want to leave your viewers in awe. Do this:
- Follow steps #1 through #3 above.
- Switch tabs to Branding.
- Under the Profile picture, click on Upload.As they point out, a minimum size should be 98 x 98 pixels, and under 4 MB in size, using a PNG or GIF file. This is to allow transparency. We recommend using a picture with dimensions close to 800 x 800 pixels. Also, if the picture doesn’t have transparent elements, use a compressed JPG/JPEG image.
- Under the Banner image, click on Upload.Once again, the recommended size is 2048 x 1152 and less than 6 MB. We, however, recommend going for 2560 x 1440 pixels. This will ensure the picture looks beautiful on mobile devices, 16:9 screens, as well as 21:9 screens (Ultrawide), and satisfy all viewers.
- Optional. Under the Video watermark, click on Upload.This might not be necessary right off the bat but has its uses. Upload a BMP, JPEG, GIF, or PNG image with 150 x 150 pixels in size at a minimum. It will float in the bottom right corner of every video you post and can help you gain more subscribers.
3. Upload your first video
- Click on your channel icon in the corner on the right side.
- Choose YouTube Studio from the list.
- In the Channel dashboard, click Upload videos.
Option 1. Click on Select files, then find a video on your computer.
Option 2. Drag-and-drop the video into the window.
- Change the title.
- Add a description.
- Either choose a thumbnail from the list or upload an image of your own. Make sure the resolution of the image is equivalent to the video resolution.
- Choose between: Yes, it’s made for kids and No, it’s not made for kids. Under Advanced, you can choose to restrict the video to those under 18 years of age.
- Under More options, you can add a few tags relevant to the video content.
- Optional. Add cards (additional links in the top right corner) while the video is playing.
- Choose Visibility – Private, Unlisted, or Public.
- Optional. You can also schedule your first video to premiere at a certain date and time.
- Click on Save.
4. Add a channel trailer
This will help first-time viewers get to know you, see what your channel is about, and what your plans for the future are.
- In the top-right corner, click on your channel icon.
- Click on YouTube Studio.
- Click on Customization in the menu on the left.
- Under Layout, then Video spotlight, find the Channel trailer option.
- Click on Add.
- Choose one of your existing videos or upload a new one using the steps above.
5. Growing your channel further
So, now you know how to create a YouTube channel. Here are a few tips to develop it:
- Don’t rush to invest in expensive camera gear and lighting.
- Do consider a cheap, but quality microphone. A bad video can be tolerated, but bad audio can’t.
- Engage with your community. Read and reply to their comments, and take feedback to heart.
- Create playlists of your videos.
- Experiment with the length of the videos.
- Change the titles of your videos to something people would search for.
- Add an end screen at the end of your videos.
- Collaborate with other YouTubers.
- Add links to your social media profiles.
- Check YouTube Analytics in YouTube Studio to track progress.
- If progress is stagnating, consider investing in YouTube ads.
- Look into verifying your YouTube channel in the future.