Looking for a website to watch movies for free? We understand. Watching movies on Netflix and similar services is great, but a monthly subscription is required. Worst of all, you have to pay equally, whether you watch lesser-known movies or Hollywood blockbusters. What’s an alternative, then? Illegal streaming websites with poor quality that delete movies all the time? Movies on torrent sites that might have amazing quality but need to be downloaded and you risk being punished by your ISP? We know what we would do, and we recommend the same to you. Pick a favorite on the list of 12 best free movie sites:
Reasons to Use a Free Movie Site
- Free movies, no paid subscriptions, save money.
- Explore diverse genres, discover new films.
- You can watch movies anywhere with an internet connection.
- On-demand streaming for flexible movie viewing.
- Choose specific movies or explore different genres freely.
- Start watching movies immediately, no wait time.
- There will be no long-term contracts or cancellation hassle.
- Easily find underrated movies not available on mainstream platforms.
- Wide range of movies accessible with a few clicks.
- Enjoy movies without geographic or device limitations.
Top 12 Free Movie Sites
After having a thorough look through the free sites that provide movie streaming facilities, we have finally sorted them based on various factors –
1. Sony Crackle
We’re starting our list of sites for watching movies for free with Crackle, owned by Sony Pictures. They have a big selection of well-known, top-rated, licensed films, and in high resolution. Both the web player and the mobile app are excellent and full of options. A large part of the catalog is made up of movies released between 1950 and 1990, so if you like those, Crackle will be your go-to, guaranteed. The only downside is the number of ads. Dare we say, possibly more than any service on this list! You also can’t sort movies based on popularity – a flaw for some people.
- Well-known, licensed films
- High resolution
- Excellent web player and app
- Movies from 1950-1990
- Many ads, no popularity sorting
Tubi, a newer site to watch movies free of charge, founded in 2014, has grown quickly since then. They offer a massive number of best-known movies, over 20,000! You can search by genre – even some unusual ones, such as home and garden, musical, or LGBTQ. Tubi also has apps for all major operating systems, streaming devices such as Chromecast, smart devices, and even consoles! The only downside is the presence of ads, but not a huge number. It’s a small sacrifice, considering you don’t need a VPN (like for Netflix) or even a user account.
- Large selection of movies
- Various genres available
- Apps for major platforms
- Some ads, no VPN/account needed
- No need for a user account
Third on the list of best free film websites is Popcornflix, a service for watching a large catalog of full-length movies. You can even give feedback on certain sections while you’re watching it, which is unique, and perfect if you consider yourself a film buff. Also, the movie player has a lot of options, movies can be sorted by genre, and you can watch their movies (Popcornflix Originals). You do not need an account – press play and the fun starts. The only downside is that we couldn’t display subtitles.
- Large catalog of movies
- Unique feedback feature
- Genre sorting available
- Popcornflix Originals
- No subtitles displayed
4. IMDb TV
Just like you can get free shipping on Amazon. you can watch movies without paying a dime on IMDb TV, which is owned by Amazon. After that, we don’t need to mention that you can watch some of the best critically acclaimed movies out there – with ads, of course. Since you need an IMDb account, if you also have Amazon Prime, you wave ads goodbye. While the offer of movies was excellent, we didn’t like the lack of categories, although the Top Rated one did just fine. IMDb TV is also blocked outside of the United States, but you can use a VPN.
Previously available through IMDb (also known as IMDb TV), Freevee is now searchable on Amazon’s Prime Video website by recently added, most popular, channel, genre, and other usual filters.
It enables you to do all the essential functions, including enabling subtitles, modifying the captions’ screen appearance, and adjusting the video quality, among others.
- Critically acclaimed movies
- Ads unless using IMDb account/Amazon Prime
- Limited categories
- Blocked outside the US
- Can use a VPN
Vudu is higher on our list of Netflix alternatives than Crackle, but lower here because not all movies are free. The service is focused on on-demand streaming, and mainly intends to charge you to rent or purchase movies. However, there are a lot of high-quality movies offered for free – you only need to sign in. Plus, unlike Crackle, a lot of them are popular and newer. As usual, you’ll have to sit through ads, but that’s a small price to pay to watch some movies in 1080p. We also liked how they’re expertly split into genres, then sorted by various criteria.
- On-demand streaming service
- Mix of free and paid movies
- High-quality movies
- Genres and sorting options
- Ads, but in 1080p
We spoke of streaming devices, one of which is Roku. Although it’s preferred you have one, with this website for watching films for free, you can also install an app or use your browser. The Roku Channel has a very eye-pleasing UI that can be fully customized, and an abundance of high-quality movies that are nicely sorted and can be filtered. Unlike some of our entries, you can add enable subtitles and captions. The two downsides are a mandatory sign-in, and unavailability outside of the United States. Granted, the latter can be fixed with a VPN service.
- Eye-pleasing UI
- Abundance of high-quality movies
- Customizable interface
- Subtitles and captions available
- Sign-in required, unavailable outside the US (can use VPN)
Filmzie basically broadcasts films from independent producers as well as both small and big studios. There are many excellent titles to stream, plus the website and app are both well-designed.
You shouldn’t miss the ‘Last Chance to Watch’ category on the website, since it has a list of all the titles that are set to be deleted soon. The Top Rated on IMDb, Undiscovered Gems, Independent Cinema, and Asia’s Top Cinema categories are just a few of the uncommon collections you won’t find on most movie websites. Other than that, there are also more than 20 established genres, including action, adventure, drama, and thrillers.
- Films from independent producers and studios
- Well-designed website and app
- Unique categories and collections
- More than 20 genres available
- No specific downsides mentioned
PlutoTV is a free movie-watching website that was bought by CBSViacom in 2019, so you know you’re getting plenty of great content. In fact, we’re a bit surprised that they don’t charge, considering how many top-rated movies and TV shows (such as Star Trek and CSI) are available. You can even watch live TV! Besides popular genres such as family, drama, action, or crime, you can search for “comfort movies” and indie movies – great for discovering new titles. An account isn’t required, but ads can get annoying.
- Great content acquired by CBSViacom
- Top-rated movies and TV shows available
- Live TV streaming
- Comfort movies and indie films
- No account required, but ads can be annoying
If you’re in the mood for watching free online movies that are unconventional, Peacock is for you. Although you need to create an account, and not every movie is free, everything is split into categories, so you can easily distinguish which movies are paid. With that said, you’ll find some crazy (but funny) genres and a wide variety of underrated or unknown projects produced by major Hollywood studios. Don’t worry, you can still watch mainstream movies free of charge – you merely have to sit through ads.
- Unconventional and mainstream movies
- Categories distinguish between free and paid movies
- Wide variety of projects by major Hollywood studios
- Account creation required
- Ads included in the free version
What if there was a service that allows you to watch Hollywood movie hits for free? Without advertisements, with a great filtering system, subtitles, and even free downloading for offline viewing? Plus, both browser-watching and smart devices are supported? We couldn’t believe our eyes, but it’s true. There’s a catch with Hoopla, of course. You must create an account and provide a card from one of over 1500 United States libraries. Also, you’re limited to 5 movies per month, but that seems insignificant compared to the benefits.
- Hollywood movie hits available
- No advertisements
- Great filtering system
- Subtitles and free downloads for offline viewing
- Account required with a US library card, monthly movie limit of 5
If you’re looking for a free online movie streaming service with family-friendly filters, Yidio is the answer. You can not only sort by MPAA rating (R, G, PG-13, etc.) but also by time added, genre, popularity, Rotten Tomato scores, main actors, directors, etc. The thing is, Yidio doesn’t host any of the movies. Instead, it’s an intermediary, a massive movie database that provides you with several links to secondary websites when a title is selected. So, even though it’s amazing at finding movies through search filtering, not all movies are free, and the quality is inconsistent.
- Family-friendly filters
- Sorting by MPAA rating, time added, genre, popularity, etc.
- Massive movie database, acts as an intermediary
- Multiple links to secondary websites
- Inconsistent movie availability and quality
Because it offers a far larger package than it initially appears to, Plex is an appealing service. It offers live TV, TV series, podcasts, music, and other content in addition to free full movies, making it a complete at-home media platform.
Like most services, it offers traditional genre filters like action and crime, but you can also explore content by actor or channel, such as Tom Cruise, Maverick Black Cinema, and Lionsgate. Plex offers a variety of special categories.
- Comprehensive media platform
- Live TV, TV series, podcasts, music, etc.
- Traditional genre filters and special categories
- Content exploration by actor or channel
- Additional features beyond movies