Amazon is no doubt one of the best e-commerce websites on the internet. Whenever you want to shop something online, you might think about Amazon and its free shipping. If not, you may not be online for a long time. However, like any other company, Amazon may be disappointing to someone in some features. If so, you might be searching for some Amazon alternatives that you could try for online shopping. This article is for those types of people.
What is the problem with Amazon?
Amazon is a pretty good website for online shopping. But still, it has a number of problems. These are the main problems of Amazon –
- Some products cost more than the competitors.
- Shipments are not delivered to remote locations in some areas.
- Amazon may not be available in your country.
- You don’t trust the Amazon seller and an alternative website has a trusted one.
Reasons to look for an Amazon Alternative
Amazon has been at the frontier of online retail shopping and e-commerce for quite a while now. It has even earned a valuation of almost $1.3 trillion, making it one of the most valuable companies in the world. However, you can still broaden your horizons and visit other retail websites, especially if you are looking for greater maneuverability in your choices and more varied customer support.
True, not all e-commerce websites are created equal, and certainly there are many websites that, while claiming otherwise, do not fare better than Amazon. Still, if you want to keep your options open, then refer to the following points if you want a perfect alternative to Amazon.
- If you want more flexibility and a diverse selection, then surely, you must have other options available.
- Also, if you are looking for something niche, Amazon might not be a suitable place for you, as it caters to a general audience.
- And while Amazon has been known to offer great prices, there are competing websites that tend to offer even better deals.
- The shopping experience also varies depending on the platform. So if you are not a fan of the Amazon UI and customer handling, then switch.
- Availability is a good concern, as sometimes a product won’t be available on Amazon.
- Some platforms, other than Amazon, do offer innovative features for users to try.
Top 10 Amazon Alternatives
We handpicked some of the best sites like Amazon which is for different needs such as electronics shopping, music purchasing, literature shopping, etc. So, whenever you are running out of selection on Amazon, or when you need a change from Amazon shopping, you should try these best Amazon alternatives –
1. Rakuten – General Shopping
Rakuten is the best alternative to Amazon. With its products lying in almost all categories, you could find any of your favorites there. It is a general shopping website that includes all the products you need for your home, office, electronics needs, fashion, and almost anything.
Like Amazon, Rakuten provides various offers and discounts on products. You could visit Rakuten and have a deep look at the large product collection to check whether it is a good replacement for Amazon or not.
- Wide variety of products.
- Offers and discounts available.
- Suitable for home, office, and electronics needs.
- General shopping site.
- Large product collection.
- Not as well-known as Amazon.
- May have limited international reach.
- Some products may have higher prices.
- Limited user reviews.
- Not as extensive customer support.
2. Newegg – Electronics Shopping
Newegg is for electronic lovers. This online marketplace lists almost all electronic items that you ever need. Dedicated to electronic items, it is also well-known for the offers and discounts it provides. Newegg lists all computer components, networking items, gaming gadgets, software, services, and almost anything that a geek needs.
So, if you are an electronic lover who doesn’t have anything to do with Amazon or other such websites, Newegg is the best choice you can make.
- Extensive collection of electronics.
- Known for offers and discounts.
- Specialized in electronic items.
- Suitable for tech enthusiasts.
- Availability of computer components.
- Fewer variety in non-electronic products.
- Not as diverse as Amazon.
- May have limited international shipping.
- May not be suitable for non-tech shoppers.
- Fewer customer reviews compared to Amazon.
3. eMusic – Music Purchase
Music lovers listen to this. eMusic is your perfect destination to buy music. Instead of providing some most popular tracks, eMusic lists almost all albums and songs that released so far. You can find a vast collection of popular artists and their songs on the Music.
While Amazon does have an excellent selection of music items, this dedicated music shopping site could outrun the e-commerce giant in the music category. So, it is a good site like Amazon when it comes to music purchasing.
- Vast collection of albums and songs.
- Focus on music items.
- Suitable for music enthusiasts.
- Potential for discovering new artists.
- May have competitive pricing.
- Limited product diversity.
- Smaller user base.
- May lack features of music streaming services.
- Not a one-stop shop.
- May not have exclusive releases.
4. Flipkart – Shopping of Anything
Flipkart is a well-known online shopping website, mostly in India. It is the Indian equivalent of Amazon, which is very much like Amazon in the listed items and the working as well. You could find almost all products lying in all the categories.
When compared to Amazon, the cost of some items is a little higher, but still not that much. If you need a general shopping website just like Amazon, Flipkart is a good option to go for. Flipkart is well-known for the presales it conducts. Many smartphones and electronic products come on presale exclusively on Flipkart with huge discounts. So, don’t forget to give it a try.
- Known for general shopping.
- Equivalent to Amazon in India.
- Wide product range.
- Special promotions and presales.
- Competitive pricing.
- Primarily serves the Indian market.
- Some items may be pricier.
- Has limited international shipping.
- Smaller global presence.
- Fewer product reviews compared to Amazon.
5. Barnes and Noble – Literature Related Shopping
If you are a good reader, you might love Barnes and Noble. It has a huge collection of literature and books. You will find all of your favorite novels, books, writings, and series, on the Barnes and Noble website.
All the items lying in different categories including Awards, Biography, Current Affairs & Politics, Fiction, History, Kids, Literature, Medicine & Nursing, Music, Film & Performing Arts, Mystery & Crime, Science & Technology, Science Fiction & Fantasy, Social Sciences, Sports, Teens, etc. The prices are very cheap when compared to a regular shopping website.
- Large collection of books.
- Competitive prices for literature.
- Diverse categories of books.
- Suitable for book lovers.
- Potential for finding rare books.
- Less product range beyond books.
- Smaller market presence.
- May not offer other media.
- Limited international shipping.
- Fewer non-literature products.
6. eBay – Used Goods Shopping
If you want to save money on your shopping by buying used items, eBay might be helpful. This online marketplace allows you to sell or buy used items. Even if it is mainly focused on the used items, you could find everything you are looking for. From the small teapots to the 4K LCD TV are all sold through eBay.
Nevertheless, to say that you could save an enormous amount of money by purchasing good, old, and used items from eBay. So, if you don’t have enough money to buy something new, search eBay.
- Offers a wide range of used items.
- Potential for significant cost savings.
- Variety of products available.
- Large user base.
- Opportunity to buy and sell.
- The quality of used items can vary.
- May lack guarantees on used products.
- Limited to pre-owned items.
- May have competitive bidding.
- Shipping and returns can be complicated.
7. Netflix – Movies and Shows
Netflix needs no introduction. One of the biggest names in the show business, Netflix has been there for a while. It is one of the best Amazon Prime alternatives. If you have been using Amazon Prime for a while and are not yet satisfied with their service, Netflix is the next big choice to go for. You may also take a look at some of the pros and cons of Amazon Prime to make a decision.
Netflix contains almost any movies or shows that you want to see. No matter how old you are, or what is your taste, Netflix can provide a vast collection of items that you want to see.
- Extensive collection of movies and shows.
- High-quality streaming service.
- Personalized recommendations.
- Accessible on multiple devices.
- Original content production.
- Requires a subscription fee.
- Content may vary by region.
- Only movies and TV shows.
- Content may come and go.
- May not have live sports or news.
8. Etsy – For All Shopping Needs
Etsy is yet another Amazon alternative website. It offers all types of products in every category. Like any other website on this list, Etsy also provides various deals and discounts on its products. They also conduct pre-sales and promotions. If you didn’t like any of the Amazon, or Flipkart websites, Etsy is the next big e-commerce site you could choose for general shopping.
- Wide range of unique handmade products.
- Supports independent artisans.
- Customizable and personalized items.
- Opportunity for creative and artisanal products.
- Also, offers exclusive items.
- Only handmade and vintage goods.
- Smaller product selection compared to Amazon.
- Shipping and delivery times can vary.
- Higher prices for custom items.
- Smaller, independent sellers.
9. Alibaba – General Products Shopping
As we already know, Alibaba is the largest online shopping website in China, yes, even bigger than Amazon when it comes to China. So, they do have a vast collection of products to choose from. You could just visit the website and search for your favorite products.
Most probably, you will find it. One of the best things about Alibaba is its extreme offers on some products. When it comes to offers and discounts, Alibaba is one of the best websites to shop.
- A vast collection of products.
- Competitive pricing and offers.
- Variety of products to choose from.
- Opportunities for bulk orders.
- Extensive range of manufacturers.
- May have language barriers.
- Limited to business-to-business (B2B) buyers.
- Quality assurance challenges.
- Shipping and import costs.
- Potential for counterfeit products.
10. Myntra – Fashion
Myntra is a fashion store where you can get all the fashion items such as apparel, clothing, footwear, men’s/women’s accessories, etc. Myntra is not for those who need some home improvement, or electronic accessories. It is a dedicated fashion shopping website with a big collection of fashion items. So, this is also one of the best Amazon alternatives.
- Dedicated fashion shopping.
- Wide variety of clothing and accessories.
- Suitable for fashion enthusiasts.
- Competitive pricing on apparel.
- Opportunity to discover trendy styles.
- Limited product range beyond fashion.
- May not cater to non-fashion needs.
- Limited international shipping.
- Smaller global presence.
You can give my recommendations a try
While my stellar recommendation goes towards Amazon, for most parts, there are some alternatives that did impress me. Take Rakuten, for example. It is yet another e-commerce platform that favors general shopping.
For Indians, I also have to recommend Flipkart, which is still going strong in India. Even in the C2C department, sites like eBay are a must. And you also have Etsy for those craving handmade products.
For people from China, Alibaba can also be on your list of e-commerce websites, as it is certainly special in the way that it targets B2B customers. I also like websites like Myntra and eMusic that specialize in a specific niche, instead of broadening their scope.