Because the world is facing a global pandemic, online classrooms are increasing day by day. Until there is a solution to this, the situation will be the same. But, some institutions are re-opening given the students a choice whether to come to school or stay home and attend online classes. So if you are confused about whether to go to school or continue studying from your home, this article will be helpful for you. If you are a parent confused about whether to let your child visit school or not, you will also find this helpful. Without further due, here are the advantages and disadvantages of online classes.
Advantages of Online Class
- Safety: especially in this period, the most important advantage of the online class system is the safety of the students. While governments and medical organizations encouraging people to stay home and avoid physical contact, it is definitely a great thing to avoid going to school. So if you are a student and your school allows you to stay home, it is better to stay home.
- Time to learn: If you are attending an online classroom, you can record it and watch it again whenever you feel like. Even though many universities and schools provide materials for the students to go through the lectures again, most of them don’t. So if you are not feeling like concentrating in the class (which is not a good thing of course), you can watch it again when you feel concentrated.
- Less Cost: By providing lectures online not having to physically accommodate the students in a classroom, can be a huge saving for the educational institutions. For the students as well, except for the cost of the internet and the electricity, it can be a big saving. So in terms of the cost, online classrooms can be beneficial.
- An advanced learning system: Students can develop an advanced learning system depending on the latest technologies to make their learning process easier. Even though they can incorporate online tools when attending the offline classes, organizing everything in a single place will be much more efficient.
Disadvantages of Online Class
- An excuse: Even though there are a lot of advantages to online classrooms, one of the most significant problems is that the students are not in a physical location where the teachers can look after them. In the absence of teachers, it is quite easy for students to do whatever they want or to pay attention to other things. While many students do not find a difference between an offline class and an online lecture, most of them fail to keep it like that.
- Eye strain: Staring at a computer screen for several hours continuously every day is not a good thing. For the students with issues to their eyes, this can be worse. It is not like watching your teacher in a live classroom. There can be serious issues if you are not paying attention to the eye strain and related problems that may arise due to several hours of continuous online lectures.
- Technical problems: A bad internet connection or an electricity outage can disconnect you from an online session. Malfunction in the live stream software can also impact your learning experience. These things do not exist in a regular classroom. So the technical difficulties are a very big issue especially if you have an unstable internet connection or electricity supply.
- Lack of facilities: while attending an online classroom, there is a problem that the students won’t be able to use the facilities such as the laboratories or library. They will have to depend on the online resources available unless the institution specifically sends them the resources they need. This will impact the experience of the students in several areas.
- Lack of motivation: Being alone in a closed environment without any visible competition from the classmates and the motivation from the teachers may lead to a lack of competence in the students. This is not the case with every single student out there but can affect at least a few of them.