There are many reasons why you might need to edit a PDF file. Perhaps you need to make a small change to a document before sending it off to a client or co-worker. Maybe you need to fill out a form that is only available in PDF format. Or perhaps you’re working on a school project and must insert some images or add your annotations to existing text. Whatever the reason, there are a few different ways that you can go about editing a PDF file. After all, there is always something to learn from, and you should be ready to do it without wasting any time. Here are some easy ways to get it done.
1. Editing a PDF File via a Third-Party Editor
One way to edit a PDF file is to use a special PDF editor program such as LibreOffice Draw. These programs are designed specifically for editing PDF files and usually offer a wide range of features and tools that you can use. However, they can also be quite expensive, so if you’re only editing PDF files occasionally, they might not be worth the investment. We’ll demonstrate a free and a paid option, but have no ties to either.
Instructions to Edit a PDF File through LibreOffice Draw
Download LibreOffice Draw and install the software. Now:
- Launch the .exe file and follow the instructions.
- The icon of LibreOffice Draw appears yellow. Open the Start menu or Applications folder on a Mac computer, and select LibreOffice Draw.
- Go to the File menu and select “Open” to open the PDF file.
- To move and resize the object, use the mouse cursor to change it into a cross-arrow, placing it over an item.
- To add new text, select the icon with an “A” next to it at the top of the page. Start typing where you want the text to be added and click when finished. To create a text box with a set size, drag about. To change the text style, use the menu bar on the right side to choose from various formats.
- Making changes to the existing text requires you to put the cursor in the proper position within and start typing. You may use the menu options on the right side of your menu bar to modify text color, size, style, or any other aspect of it.
- To add an image to the PDF file, use the picture icon at the top of the screen. You can insert an image from your computer, or you can search online for one using LibreOffice’s built-in search function.
- Select “File” from the top menu and “Save As” to save changes. Select a different name for the new document if you want to retain the original file.
- Close LibreOffice when finished by clicking on the X in the window’s upper-right corner.
Modifying PDF using Adobe Acrobat
If you have access to Adobe Acrobat, you can use it to edit PDF files. It’s a paid program designed for manipulating PDF files in a variety of ways. It offers a wide range of features and tools that you can use to edit PDF files and create new ones from scratch. However, it can be quite expensive, so it’s only worth the investment if you’re going to be working with these files regularly. Making changes to a PDF file in Adobe Acrobat works like this:
- Open the file you want to edit in Acrobat.
- Click on “Edit PDF” in the toolbar. This will open up a new window with various tools that you can use to make changes to the PDF. You can add text, images, annotations, and more.
- When you’re finished making your changes, click on the “File” menu and select “Save.”
2. Export PDF to Word Format Before Editing
This is a long-winded solution for editing PDF files that requires you to change their format. You can try a free online platform or use a free online converter or special software. Once the file has been converted, you can open it in Microsoft Word or another word processing program and make the changes you need. However, remember that this method doesn’t always work perfectly, and some formatting may be lost in the conversion process. To give you an idea, we provided several examples, none of which we’re affiliated with.
Here is some software for converting a PDF file:
These are representatives of cloud-based PDF converters:
3. Use Free Online PDF Editing Tools
If you only need to make simple changes to a PDF file, free specialized websites can help. Most are basic online editors that let you add text, images, and annotations to existing PDF files or start new ones from scratch. Many also work as online converters, i.e., provide an all-in-one solution. There are also many mobile apps that offer similar features. Since these tools are abundant, and we provided some examples, we’ll let you find a favorite.
Utilize Google Docs to Modify PDF Files
If you have a PDF you need to edit quickly but don’t have any special software, we propose employing Google Docs. It’s a free online word processing program that offers basic document editing features and works with PDF too. To edit a PDF in Google Docs:
- Upload the file to your Google Drive account. Then, open that file in Google Docs by double-clicking or tapping.
- Click or tap the “Edit” menu. From there, you can make changes to the document’s text, images, and layout.
- When you’re finished, click on the “File” menu and select “Download as.” This lets you save the edited PDF to your computer or mobile.
As you can see, there are several ways to edit a PDF file. Which method you use will depend on the extent of changes you desire and the device you are using. If you only need to make simple changes, free online tools should suffice. However, if you require more advanced features or plan on editing PDF files regularly, you may want to consider downloading software or even paying for one akin to Adobe Acrobat.