Calling it quits with a LinkedIn is not unusual. Some people simply can’t find their perfect employer, others manage to find the job of their dreams off the platform. The third group of people is there only to make friends and build relationships and potential business connections, and don’t seek a job at all. All three groups of people have their reasons to give up on the job-searching platform, and it is their right to do so. On the other hand, they might not know what it takes to leave the platform for good. That’s where we come in. Here’s how to delete a LinkedIn account.
Things to understand before closing a LinkedIn account
Before you go through with it, take note of the things below:
Here are the things we recommend you give some thought before you erase the account:
- Consider downloading your account data.
- Think about merging this account with a secondary LinkedIn account.
- Think about hibernating your LinkedIn account e.g. temporarily making it invisible until you’re ready to come back.
- Consider changing your Privacy Settings to reduce the number of notifications and suggestions sent by LinkedIn if the reason you’re leaving is related to spam.
You must cancel a premium membership or a premium account license that hasn’t expired. Additionally, you must choose a new administrator or delete any LinkedIn group you’re the owner of.
Here’s what’s going to happen afterward:
- Your account disappears from LinkedIn immediately but might show in search results on Bing and Google for a few days.
- LinkedIn can reopen your account if you submit a request within 20 days. However, these 4 things cannot be restored:
- Any recommendations or endorsements you’ve received
- Pending or ignored invitations.
- Your membership in LinkedIn groups.
- Any followings – people, groups, companies, etc
Steps to delete a LinkedIn Account in the browser
Here are the instructions to delete an account on LinkedIn in your browser:
- Log in if you haven’t already.
- Click on Me (profile picture icon) in the top right corner.
- Select Settings and Privacy under Account in the drop-down menu.
- Switch over to the Account tab.
- Select Account management in the menu on the left and click on Closing your LinkedIn account.
- Select one of the offered reasons for parting ways with LinkedIn or Other.
- Click on the Next button.
- Enter your password one final time.
- Optional. Put a checkmark in front of Unsubscribe me from LinkedIn email communications, including invitations.
- Click the Close account button and you’re done.
How to erase a LinkedIn account on Android and iOS
Erasing a LinkedIn account on iOS and Android works like this:
- Open the LinkedIn app.
- Sign in if you aren’t already.
- Tap on the Me tab.
On iOS, the profile icon is in the bottom right corner, while on Android it’s in the top right corner.
- Tap on Settings (gearbox icon).
- Switch over to the Account tab, then scroll down to tap on Close account under Account management.
- When asked whether you’re sure, tap on Continue.
- Tap on one of the reasons that you want to stop using LinkedIn.
- Tap on Next.
- Enter your account password for the last time.
- Optional. Tap on the empty box in front of Unsubscribe me from LinkedIn email communications, including invitations.
- Tap on the Done button.