Submitting a resume is a common prerequisite for finding a job. Yes, you might skip it when searching for a job on LinkedIn, or if your prominence and brand are sufficient for a direct job offer. But even in those cases, companies oftentimes require it for a background check or candidate comparison. And, although the entire process is predominantly done online nowadays, you might have to print one out too. In both cases, it needs to be honest, concise yet informative, and attractive but distinctive. To check all of those boxes, here’s how to create a resume online.
1. Choose an online resume builder and begin the process
Picking the right online resume builder is perhaps the most important decision you must make. We’ll use Zety Resume Builder for demonstration, even though we’re not affiliated. It’s beginner-friendly and offers a variety of beautiful free templates. With that said, begin to create a resume online like this:
- Visit Zety’s Resume Builder (https://zety.com/resume-builder) page.
- Click on Create Your Resume Now.
- On the “Just three simple steps” page, click on Create My Resume.
2. Select a template and color palette
Now’s the time to pick a template and decide on a color palette. Continue to create a resume online in this fashion:
- On the “How long have you been working?” page, select your experience level.
- Note. If you chose 0-3 Years, you will be asked “Are you a student?” Answer by clicking Yes or No. This will affect the template suggestion.
- Based on your answer, Zety will propose 2 templates marked as Recommended and one marked as Most Popular.
- Tip. You can also select any of the remaining 15 templates, for a total of 18.
- Select the color for the template at the top of the page, and all of them will adjust instantly.
- When you decide on one, click on Select Template.
3. Decide whether to start anew or upload an old resume
In this step, you have to pick between two options:
- Create a new resume. Fill out the information from scratch using Zety’s tips and auto-fill data.
- I already have a resume. Upload a .doc, .docx, .pdf, .rtf, .txt, or .htm file with your personal information or an offline resume you made in the past. Zety will analyze the keywords and auto-fill the information it discovers.
4. Fill out the personal information
We’ll assume you want to start from the ground up. Note that you can click on Preview to see changes at any moment. With that said, start making your online resume by entering your personal information:
Type the following data about yourself:
- First and last name and profession.
- City, state, and province will be auto-filled based on your IP Address. Edit if necessary.
- Enter your zip code and phone number (No need to add + in front).
- Enter the e-mail address employers will use to contact you. We strongly recommend creating a new e-mail address if your existing one uses an immature or vague username.
- Optional. Click on Add Social Links to add social media account handles/profile links.
After clicking on Next: Work History, then Next, start typing:
- Data about your most recent job: job title, employer, city, state, and start and end date.
- Optional. Click on I currently work there if you’re still employed.
- Click on Next to proceed.
- Zety will suggest bullet points that you might or might not have to fill out. Click on them to add them to the text editor.
- You’ll be asked to create a new account to save your resume. Do so, and click on Save & Next.
- Optional. Click on Add another position to expand your job history.
Education, skills, background, extras
After clicking on Next: Education, then Next, you can enter:
- School name and location, degree, a field of study, and graduation start and end date.
- Click on I currently attend here if you’re a student.
- Optional. Click on Add a description to this section to add bullet points, identical to step 4 in work history.
- Select Add another degree to finish your education summary. Alternatively, continue to the next step.
- After clicking on Next: Skills, then Next, you can add a list of skills as bullet points, identical to step 4 above.
- Proceed to click Next: Summary > Next, then add bullet points that fit your background as an employee.
- Optional. Selected Next: Extra Sections? You can insert and elaborate on (via their text editor) bonus sections for:
- Additional Information
4. Finalize the creation of a resume online
After you click on Next: Finalize, you’ll be taken to the final page where you can preview your template, add details you might have missed, configure formatting and color, or even test other templates. Then, choose how to finish creating an online resume:
- Click on Save to save a copy in the Zety cloud storage.
- Click on Download in the left sidebar. Enter a name, select file extension, (.pdf, .docx, or .txt) and click on Download.
Note. Depending on the complexity, you might have to use a 14-day trial. However, there’s a 14-day money-back guarantee, so you can get a full refund immediately.